DEDICATION to WHS Principals
Hollandsworth and Richardson
Mr. G.M. Hollandsworth, served for 24 years as
of Welch High School. He inspired the lives of thousands of
men and women as they passed through the halls of the school On the
Mr. Hollandsworth's superior leadership will long be remembered by
graduates and members of the faculty.
Mr. Edward W. Richardson replaced Mr. Hollandsworth as
in 1953 and held that position until his retirement in July 1968.
A native of Bannockburn, Scotland, Richardson started teaching in 1924.
He first taught in McDowell County's Browns Creek District. He
was the first principal of WHS who also graduated from WHS.
Dr. Richardson played on Welch High's
football team and was a popular sports official in the area.
Remembered by many for his ability to treat students with the utmost
and his unwavering sense of fair play, Mr. Richardson passed away
only a few
after his retirement in 1968.
(Thanks to Russell & Betty (Chaos) Rice for sharing
their scan of this wonderful picture with us.)